“Utica Capital” Plays Host To Small Business Development Seminar
Yesterday, the Canton Regional Chamber of Commerce, the Ohio Oil & Gas Association, Shale Directories, the Stark Development Board and the City of Canton hosted the Oil & Gas Business Development Seminar. Designed to educate the local small business community about the natural gas industry, the presenters shared with local businesses how to work with the industry and gain new business coming to Ohio thanks to Utica shale development.
Before the day began Energy in Depth – Ohio spoke with Dennis P. Saunier, President & CEO of the Canton Regional Chamber of Commerce to discuss how Canton is becoming the “Utica Capital“, and how local businesses can capitalize on the opportunities shale development is bringing to the region:
Dennis P. Saunier of the Canton Regional Chamber of Commerce
The agenda of speakers for the event included:
- William Healy, Mayor of the City of Canton, gave opening remarks on behalf of the city he recently dubbed the “Utica Capital“
- Kristy Hawthorne, Membership Director of OOGA, provided a brief update from of association.
- John Cramer, Superior Well Services, talked about what Superior is looking for in their sub contractors.
- Joe Barone, Shaledirectories.com, informed the audience about how to get noticed by major producers.
- Damian Ferek, Asayo Creative, educated attendees about marketing their company.
- Bill Thomas & Jeff Dressler, Marcellus Resource Group, talked about human resources and how to find the right people for the jobs you need to fill.
- Ted Walter of Fifth Third, Jeffrey Douglas of KeyBank & William Shivers of Huntington Bank, addressed how the banking industry can help folks manage their finances and business growth.
- Ron Van Horn, Schauer Insurance , shared information about how to make sure all local business insurance needs are met.
- John LaFayette, One Stop Safety Consulting, took to the podium to promote safety in the work place and how important a good track record of safety is needed so you can be considered for sub contracting work with the oil and gas industry.
EID grabbed Mr. Joe Barone of Shaledirectories.com to talk about the goal of today’s seminar.
Mr. Mark Matusick of Chesapeake Energy presented at the seminar luncheon and he covered the important topic of – How does a small business get a contract with Chesapeake.
One of the highlights of the event – a great “shout out” to Energy in Depth – Ohio:
At the end of the very busy day, United States Senator Rob Portman stopped by to share some thoughts and talk about how small businesses are leading the charge in reviving Ohio’s economy.
Senator Portman’s comments to the business seminar
Senator Rob Portman interview with Energy in Depth – Ohio
The seminar was successful in connecting local small businesses with compatible companies, and sharing with these owners the path for working as a contractor or subcontractor with a natural gas company. Just goes to show that when folks work together and share information what great things can happen.